Sodexo relies on the involvement of all stakeholders to fulfill its corporate responsibility commitments. Sodexo maintains an ongoing dialogue with employees, clients, consumers, suppliers and institutions, etc. to unite the efforts of all.
Our employees are our best ambassadors with clients and consumers and within their local communities as the ‘face’ of Sodexo. Therefore the success of our efforts depends heavily on our ability to engage with them.
Sodexo continues to involve an increasing number of employees in its corporate responsibility efforts through actions that include:
- providing information through Supply Management, Communications and Marketing teams on key priorities including its Sustainable Supply Chain commitments and Sodexo’s 10 Golden Rules for Nutrition, Health and Wellness;
- providing individual reports to site managers and their employees to monitor their progress and how they support Sodexo actions on energy, water and waste;
- fighting hunger and malnutrition and reducing waste through initiatives that align employee actions around the world and contribute to fulfilling the Group’s commitments;
- encouraging employees to engage with clients and consumers through programs such as WasteLESS Week.
Sodexo supports its clients’ sustainability strategies and contributes to strengthening their reputations.
Sodexo believes that sustainability is a significant growth opportunity, because:
- it is becoming increasingly important in all markets, with clients placing increased emphasis on – and committing additional resources to – improved sustainability;
- in each of its client segments, clients expect Sodexo to demonstrate commitment and leadership on sustainability. They look to Sodexo for visible performance improvements to help them achieve their own objectives;
- clients increasingly understand that sourcing services through Sodexo is an effective way to reach high standards and support local businesses and their community;
- Sodexo’s ability to meet these expectations is a source of competitive advantage, increasing client retention and helping to win new business;
- implementing awareness and behavior changes through tangible actions for consumers improves client engagement, reinforcing Sodexo’s ability to create value.
Sodexo embraces the opportunity to help millions of people adopt healthier and more sustainable lifestyles by sharing educational, timely and consumer-friendly information. The content provided demonstrates Sodexo’s commitment to reaching beyond client sites to improve Quality of Life for consumers.
- Our professional chefs develop recipes so that we can offer consumers healthy, balanced menu options that reflect their local tastes and cultures.
- Our registered dietitians empower people to make healthy lifestyle choices.
- We provide consumers with ways to improve their health and wellness by sharing educational, topical and consumer friendly information through traditional and digital outreach, including sharing recipes that turn left overs into delicious meals.
- According to the results of Sodexo’s consumer surveys, 79% are satisfied with the sustainable food options and 87% with the environmental initiatives the Company has taken.
Sodexo partners with suppliers to advance its commitments to support local communities, reduce environmental impacts and promote health and wellness. The collaboration throughout the value chain was cited by RobecoSAM as one of the hallmarks of Sodexo’s continued Corporate Responsibility leadership in its industry sector.
- Responsible Sourcing – We know that sharing values is a basis for collaboration, so we seek business relationships with suppliers who share our values. This includes seeking products that use recycled materials, require less energy and water in their production and use, etc.
- Supply Chain Inclusion Program – by helping suppliers to meet international standards Sodexo contributes to sustainable development in both developed and developing countries. As suppliers grow with us, we help them to thrive and gain access to wider markets;
- Sustainable Seafood – Not only is fish an important part of healthy diets and constitutes 17% of the global population’s protein intake, fish and seafood also support the livelihoods of 10-12% of the world’s population, most of them in the developing world;
- By featuring menu items that are lower in salts, sugars and fats we improve the health and wellness of our consumers and we collaborate with our suppliers to help grow the market for delicious and healthier choices.
Sodexo regularly consults external stakeholders to advance its corporate responsibility strategy and innovations.
- Sodexo and Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) have signed a three-year agreement to promote the international Better Life Index and sharing knowledge about factors that help improve Quality of Life;
- Sodexo’s long-standing working relationship with World Wildlife Fund (WWF) includes a technical agreement to work together on environmental and supply chain issues of mutual interest. Efforts include sustainable sourcing of seafood, agricultural commodities such as palm oil and soy, improving water and energy efficiencies and working together to address food waste;
- Sodexo is an active participant in International Labour Organization (ILO) working groups;
- Sodexo is a founding partner and Board member of the Global Sustainable Seafood Initiative (GSSI), launched in February 2013. The GSSI’s mission is to ensure confidence in the supply and promotion of certified seafood as well as to promote improvement in the seafood certification schemes.. Sodexo is the only partner in its industry sector;
- Sodexo provides expert advice to the United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP) on environmental impacts related to food issues;